111

Wednesday 27 May 2020

how good is the special education in your child's regular school?

Natalya Sydney: My son was put on an IEP (FINALLY!) at the end of last year. He goes to resource in the morning for small group language comprehension instruction. There is an aide in the class to help/support him and keep him on task/organized. Other than the language comprehension work, and speech to reinforce the resource lessons, he's in regular curriculum all day. My daughter's situation is a little different. She has autism and could not function in a typical classroom. Her has always been on a regular school campus. She has always had lunch/recess/pe with regular ed students. She started mainstreaming in 2nd grade, going to resource math with 3rd graders, and continues to mainstream in typical grade level math now with great success. Her math curriculum is exactly that of 5th graders. She may have modifications, like the number of problems to finish, but nothing that really affects the curriculum. She gets concepts quickly, and repeating problems to reinfo! rce the lesson just serves to frustrate and overwhelm her. Her other curriculum is modified to her ability levels and her education is in the special day class. It's a smaller group with a teacher and two aides. I'm very pleased with the education my daughter is receiving. I'm still trying to work out the kinks with my son's IEP, keeping the IEP team focused and on track following the IEP....Show more

Alberto Kozub: The school that I went to when I was younger involved the system where you would go into a language development class, and then you would be integrated into the normal classroom.I think that this worked pretty good for me. It allowed me to be able to mix with the peers and to learn some of the general mainstream courses as well. Without this experience, I don't think that I would have been able to get through school with the fact that this class and the integration showed me how to develop skills in order to function. In intermediate classes I went to a! nother school, and ended up being in the classes all the time,! and that really wouldn't have worked without the experience that I have had.I hope that this helps you....Show more

No comments:

Post a Comment